Biohazard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alternatives to FRAPS

4 posters

Go down

alternatives to FRAPS Empty alternatives to FRAPS

Post  Chatters Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:11 am

Anyone know any good alternatives to FRAPS. My main problem is the fact it records to uncompressed AVI files

Chatters

Back to top Go down

alternatives to FRAPS Empty Re: alternatives to FRAPS

Post  PyrenZero Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 am

I used FFsplit for a little while which doesn't give monstrous filesizes, but I didn't appreciate the framerate drop that came with it. Might be worth looking into

PyrenZero

Back to top Go down

Post  NzDarkLegion Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:38 am

there is a software that compresses video files

NzDarkLegion
Admin

http://teambiohazard.roflforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  PyrenZero Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am

I guess you weren't there when Chatters was teaching Fox how to use Handbrake Razz

But yeah, I find it's best to record with fraps, leave pc encoding with handbrake while at uni and deleting the originals when I get back. Need a big hard drive though.

PyrenZero

Back to top Go down

Post  Foxtorando Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:32 am

Just use handbrake. Simple to use Wink 1 recording went from 8gb to like 350mb and still looks good

Foxtorando

Back to top Go down

alternatives to FRAPS Empty Dxtory

Post  Chatters Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:11 am

I'm looking at a program called Dxtory at the moment. Same function as FRAPS but way more control, it looks seriously much better than FRAPS. It also compresses on the fly and apparently has a smaller FPS hit that FRAPS - ALLEGEDLY.

I've looked at the settings already and I'll try it out in game later today. It looks really good so far.

The other wonderful thing about it is that it allows for recording of multiple SEPERATE audio channels (upto 8 ). Which means, unlike FRAPS, if you record your mic and game+mumble in seperate channels it is possible to volume balance the two in post processing rather than finding out that the mic is virtually silent and can't be heard over the game audio and not being able to do anything about it.

Chatters

Back to top Go down

Post  NzDarkLegion Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 pm

I might need to get on to that

NzDarkLegion
Admin

http://teambiohazard.roflforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Chatters Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:34 am

I managed to record on my computer (the shit one) so that was exciting. Managed it at ~40fps which is what the game runs at normally on that computer. I think it takes a bit of extra post processing though compared with FRAPS. Handbrake had trouble with it so I used Movie Maker to render it. That could have just been the codec I was using. Should be able to change that.

Chatters

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum